India is among the most diverse countries in world that is home to seas, oceans, hills, valleys and historical attractions. There are pilgrimage sites, honeymoon locales and picturesque beaches. Plan your tour to India with touristplacesinindia.com for an experience of a lifetime. If you are still wondering about which places to visit during your trip to India, here is a list of top 50 tourist places in the country.
1. Taj Mahal - This mausoleum built in Agra by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and a UNESCO listed World Heritage Site. You cannot miss this magnificent work of marble during your travel to India.
2. Ajanta and Ellora Caves - Situated in the Aurangabad district of Maharashtra, Ellora has around 34 caves and Ajanta 29. They depict extraordinary work of sculpture, painting and architecture.
3. Khajuraho Temples - The 20 temples at Khajuraho built of sandstone depict erotic sculptures and wall frescoes. This is also among the World Heritage Sites in India and a popular tourist destination. It is situated in Madhya Pradesh.
4. Kashmir - Popular as the paradise of India, Kashmir Valley is one of the beautiful places to visit in the world that is surrounded by the Pir Panjal and the Himalayan range.
5. Goa - This small state in India has plenty to offer to tourists such as the beaches, cruise on the Mandovi River, a vibrant nightlife, tour of churches and monuments and the glimpse of the erstwhile Portuguese culture.
6. Kerala Backwaters - The beauty of the Malabar Coast is best experienced with a tour of the Kerala backwaters. This southern state of India has the largest chain of interlocking canals, rivers and lakes forming the beautiful stretch of the backwaters.
7. Jaipur - The Pink City of India and the capital of Rajasthan, Jaipur is popular for its majestic Mughal and Rajput era monuments, havelis and forts. The Hawa Mahal, Amer Fort, Amber Palace, Jal Mahal and the Nahargarh Fort stand reminiscent to the city's glorious past.
8. Munnar - Acres of tea plantations, beautiful valleys and the serenity of the hills make this place a tourist hot spot. Munnar is the only hill station of Kerala with opportunities for paragliding and trekking to Anaimudi.
9. Udaipur - Known as the Lake City of India, Udaipur is a historical city in Rajasthan. A number of lakes, the Aravalli Hills, islands of Fateh Sagar Lake and the beautiful Lake Palace are among the top tourist attractions.
10. Jaisalmer - The Golden Fort, camel safari and Rajputana havelis make this city a prominent place of visit in Rajasthan.
11. Leh and Ladakh - A prominent Buddhist pilgrimage place, known for its century old monasteries and gompas, Leh and Ladakh is also a haven for adventure tourists.
12. Kullu and Manali- Manali is a small hill station around 53 km from the town of Kullu in Himachal Pradesh. Apart from the breathtaking view, the Manikaran Gurudwara and Hadimba Devi Temple are popular attractions.
13. Shimla - Shimla is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. The sight of the snow capped Himalayas, the Victorian era buildings and churches and the Shimla Mall are worth visiting.
14. Gangtok - Capital of Sikkim and home to a number of monasteries, Gangtok is a major gateway to the Nathula Pass.
15. Darjeeling - Well known as the Queen of Hills, Darjeeling is located in West Bengal. Tea estates, parks, zoos, and the view of Mount Everest are things to enjoy here.
16. Kovalam Beach - Kovalam is a beach town in Thirivananthapuram, Kerala drawing a large crowd of international tourists throughout the year. There are three beaches, resorts and a light house here.
17. Ooty - The Nilgiri Hills or the Blue Mountains, Ooty is worth a visit during the winters in India. Places to visit include Government Rose Garden, Ooty Botanical Gardens and the lake.
18. Kanyakumari- Kanyakumari is the confluence point of the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea. The ferry ride to the Vivekananda Rock will be a memorable journey.
19. Haridwar - The Hindu pilgrimage site that brings in thousands of tourists and devotees during the Kumbh Mela held once in every 12 years. They also visit the temples, Har Ki Pauri and the Brahma Kund.
20. Nainital - Situated in the foothills of the Kumaon range, it is among the top tourist places in India for its serenity and attractions such as the Naina Devi Temple, Naina Peak and the Bhimtal Lake.
21. New Delhi - Red Fort, Jama Masjid, Rashtrapati Bhavan, Chandi Chowk, Karol Bagh market and Connaught Place are places of visit in the capital city of India.
22. Dehradun - The beauty of the Doon Valley is what makes Dehradun a popular place of visit in Uttarakhand. You can tour the Malsi Deer Park, Kalanga Monument and the Tapkeshwar Temple.
23. Hampi - Hampi is a historical place and the erstwhile capital of the Vijayanagar. The 14th century ruins features around 500 monuments, their planning, public baths and other advancements of the era.
24. Fatehpur Sikri - The 16th century capital of the Mughal Empire, Fatehpur Sikri today is known for its royal palaces, courts and the Jama Masjid. It is a World Heritage Site as well.
25. Golden Temple of Amritsar - The Holy shrine of the Sikhs, the Golden Temple complex includes the Hari Mandir, the Amrit Sarovar, the large dining hall and the Central Sikh Museum.
26. Mumbai - The City of Dreams, Mumbai is in limelight for its cosmopolitan culture. Home to Bollywood, it is the entertainment capital of the country. The Juhu Beach and Marine Drive are prominent places of visit.
27. Mysore - You have quite a number of reasons to visit this place. The Mysore Palace, Mysore paintings, Mysore Pak (sweet) and the silk sarees draw tourists to this city.
28. Bangalore - Though a prominent commercial and educational hub, Bangalore is also home to the Bannerghata National Park, Lal Bagh Garden, Bangalore Palace and the Tipu Sultan Summer Palace.
29. Mahabalipuram - The port city dating to the 7th century, Mahabalipuram has rock cut monuments reflecting the Dravidian architecture. Thirukadalmallai Temple and the Pancha Rathas are important structures here.
30. Chennai - The metropolitan of Chennai has beaches such as the Marina Beach and Cavelong Beach among its main attractions. You can also visit the Guindy National Park and the Parthasarathy Temple.
31. Hyderabad - The capital of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad is a tourist hot spot for its trade in pearls, the authentic Mughal and Arabic cuisine, Char Minar, Chowmalla Palace and the Golconda Fort.
32. Andaman and Nicobar Islands - these two groups of islands has around 300 smaller islands part of its territory. With world-class resorts and adventure spots, these islands are ultimate place for honeymoon couples.
33. Havelock Islands - Part of the Nicobar Islands, Havelock is a popular spot for adventure tourists who indulge in snorkeling and scuba diving.
34. Lakshadweep Islands - Water sports is integral to the tourism of Lakshadweep. There are small tourist huts on the islands of Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Minicoy and Kadmat.
35. Assam - A major gateway to northeast India, Assam features beautiful landscape, hills, the Brahmaputra River and the Kamakhya Temple.
36. Meghalaya - A hilly strip in north east India, Meghalaya tour is incomplete without touring Shillong.
37. Coorg - Called the Scotland of India for the large sandalwood forests and tea and coffee plantations, Coorg is a picture-perfect place for holiday. The Iruppu Falls and the Brahmagiri Hill are two other places of interest.
38. Visakhapatnam - The largest city in Andhra Pradesh, Visakhapatnam is popular for its virgin beaches, small hills and the Araku valley tour.
39. Kedarnath and Badrinath - Visit to Kedarnath and Badrinath can be part of the Do Dham yatra or pilgrimage in India. These two towns have two Hindu shrines.
40. Tirupati - Another Hindu pilgrimage site in Andhra Pradesh and the Sri Venkateshwara Temple here is dedicated to Lord Balaji.
41. Kodaikanal - Known as the Princess of the Hill Stations, Kodaikanal is situated in Tamil Nadu. The Kodaikanal Lake, Bryant Park and the Bear Shola Falls are top places of interest.
42. Kolkata - The capital of West Bengal, Kolkata is truly the City of Joy with several avenues of entertainment, multi cuisine restaurants, the Victoria Memorial, Alipore Zoo and the Kali Ghat Temple.
43. Varanasi - On the banks of River Ganga is the city of Varanasi where the popular classical form of Benaras Gharana had evolved. It is home to the Vishwanath Temple and several other places of worship and culture.
44. Mantheran - The ideal place for a weekend getaway, Mantheran is a drive of around 90 km from Mumbai. You can opt for trekking and mountaineering here.
45. Mahabaleshwar - A drive of 125 km from Pune, Mahabaleshwar is a beautiful plateau. A popular honeymoon spot, the Mahabaleshwar Temple is the prime attraction here.
46. Bodh Gaya - A pilgrimage site for the Buddhist, Bodh Gaya is a World Heritage Site famous for the Bodh Gaya Temple complex.
47. Jim Corbett National Park - The oldest park of its kind in the country, Jim Corbett is the ultimate place for wildlife and safari lovers. It has a protected area for the endangered species of Royal Bengal Tiger.
48. Dilwara Temples, Mount Abu - Dedicated to the Jain tirtanthankaras, Dilwara Temples (five in number) are magnificent work of marble architecture. Each of the temples is unique work of art.
49. Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh - The Bhedaghat - Marble Rocks is the prime attraction of this city. The Duandhar Falls and the marble gorge offer extraordinary sight.
50. Madurai - A city in the state of Tamil Nadu, Madurai has temples that feature the Dravidian style of architecture. The most famous one is the Meenakshi- Sundareswar Temple.
For more information on top places of visit in India, browse through touristplacesinindia.com